Happy Pride Month, Quizizz!
June is a month to celebrate, cherish, and remember all the activism and movements that lead to voicing LGBTQIA+ rights across the world. It can also be an opportunity for children to explore the importance of personal rights to expression, freedom, and facing their individual truths with empathetic integrity. With these teacher-created activities, we hope you feel supported and empowered to have those important conversations and moments of introspection with your students.
June is not the only time to remember the struggles and cherish the achievements of the LGBTQIA+ community, but to encourage students and teachers to feel comfortable and accepted when discussing LGBTQIA+ throughout the year. We hope these activities help everyone participate in inclusive conversations that lead to better understanding, empathy, and outcomes.
Quizzes for Exploring Pride Month
- LGBT History Quiz — 12th Grade: Jeremy Love’s 16-question Quiz about LGBT history is a great starting point for having conversations regarding LGBTQIA+ rights around the world. Starting from the 1969 Stonewall riots to the repealing of the ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ policy in 2011, this activity has all the headlines of the century. It is perfect to assign as Homework after a productive teaching session on LGBTQIA+ history. Thank you, Jeremy Love, for this quiz!
- Diversity Week Quiz — 9–12th Grade: Tim Smith’s Diversity Week Quiz is informative and handy to host as a Live Quiz with your students to learn more about their opinions on human rights and diversity. With these 20 questions, students are bound to have ‘aha!’ moments while also having serious conversations about LGBTQIA+ rights, inclusion, and diversity. Nice work, Tim Smith!
With materials like these as a starting point, we hope to empower teachers to encourage safe and healthy conversations, and create a space for everyone — students and teachers — to be their most authentic and real selves.
Tools to Promote Equity in the Classroom
With a mission to motivate every learner, Quizizz also has tools teachers can use to advance equity and engagement in the classroom.
- Audio and Video Questions: Students benefit from having a safe space to have vulnerable-yet-powerful conversations with teachers, guidance counselors, parents, and peers. Available to all Quizizz users in all quiz-related activities, Audio and Video responses on Quizizz can enable them to engage in that impactful dialogue in a low-pressure environment. How? As a teacher, you can create a Quiz that includes Audio and Video response questions, assign it as Homework and allow students a moment of empathetic reflection in a safe and private environment outside the classroom.
- Spin the Wheel: While using Quizizz Lessons, this tool eliminates the need for anxiety-inducing cold calls and picks students at random instead. Spin the Wheel encourages 100% participation from all kiddos, especially the shy ones!
- Social-Emotional Learning: With the power to make a long-term impact on students’ lives, SEL is a solid opportunity to launch thoughtful conversations in your classroom. Quizizz contains a collection of SEL resources that can help support your students’ powerful conversations and nurture the minds of tomorrow.
Happy Pride Month and happy teaching!