Have an account?
1. Which of the following is true of the microbial world?
All microbes are harmful
Many microbes are pathogenic
Most microbes are helpful
Humans could survive without microbes
2. Which individual first observed unicellular organisms, which he called “animalcules,” using a microscope he developed?
Antonie van Leeuwenhoek
3.Which are the three currently accepted domains?
Archaea, Bacteria, and Eukarya
Archaea, Prokaryota, and Eukaryota
Bacteria, Prokaryota, and Eukarya
Bacteria, Fungi, and Protista
4.Which of the following is not true about the process of fermentation?
It can help preserve foods, preventing spoilage.
It converts sugars to organic acids, alcohols, and/or gases such as carbon dioxide.
It is carried out exclusively by unicellular eukaryotes such as yeast.
It is used to make foods such as cheese and bread.
6. Viruses not included in phylogenetic trees for which of the following reasons?
It is too difficult to observe their characteristics.
They lack a nucleus.
They are acellular and nonliving.
They do not have any genes, which prevents genetic analysis.
5. Which is the best description of the primary purpose of a phylogeny?
Phylogenies show all the alterative names for each species.
. Phylogenies show all the common names for each species.
Phylogenies show evolutionary relatedness between organisms.
Phylogenies show interactions between species in a shared habitat.
7. Bergey’s Manual of Systematic Bacteriology is used primarily as which of the following?
a guide to bacterial shapes
a list and characterization of all known medically relevant microbes
a reference for bacterial classification
a historical account of changes in classification techniques
8. Based just on the name, which of the following groups of bacteria contains entirely species that consume organic compounds for food?
green nonsulfur bacteria
green sulfur bacteria
9.Chitin cell walls are characteristic of which taxonomic group?
11.1. The cytoplasmic extensions used by some protists to move are called ________.
12. Which famous scientist developed a vaccine for rabies?
Antonie von Leeuwenhoeck
13.Bacteria, Archaea, and Eukarya, and their common ancestor. Of these three groups, which two are more closely related from the figure?
Archaea and Eukarya
Eukarya and Bacteria
Archaea and Bacteria
All are very close to each other
14.1. The genus of Halobacterium salinarum is ________.
15.The cell walls of archaeans often contain which of the following substances?